Thursday, December 6, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup: Wal-lah

When I say I've outdone myself, I really mean it. 
I've always liked tortilla soup, but rarely ever ordered it at restaurants and have never tried to make it.........but when my Hunny was feeling under the weather it became my immediate mission to make him a nutritious and heart warming soup.......I think it will now be applied to my "craving list". 
(Sorry for the messy bowl. I couldn't get it into the living room fast enough to devour, and kept sloshing it all over the place in the process!!)

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients:
Chicken Breast
Mesquite Seasoning
Chilli Powder
Ground Cumin
1 Red Bell Pepper, Chopped
1/2 Onion, Chopped
1 Jalapeno, Chopped
1 Tablespoon fresh minced Garlic
Montreal Steak Seasoning
Olive Oil
6 cups (give or take) Chicken Broth (I use this stuff for all my soup bases, because it has the best flavor and isn't salty)
1 can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1 can Pinto Beans with Jalapenos, drained
1 can Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Red pepper
Cilantro, Chopped
Tomatoes, Chopped
Firm Avocado, Chopped
Chives
Mexican Cheese
Canola Oil
White Corn Tortillas (You can use yellow corn also, but I prefer white because it's more of a light crunch.)
Sea Salt

 
Directions:
Heat oven to Broil. Season each side of chicken breast with Mesquite, chili powder, and cumin. Place on pan covered in foil (for convenient clean up) on middle rack. Flip chicken when top side is white, remove when opposing side is white. 
Drizzle olive oil over bell pepper, onion, jalapeno, and garlic. Season with Montreal Seasoning, and saute until onion is clear. Add chicken broth, black beans, pinto beans, fire roasted tomatoes and bring to boil. 
Heat canola oil to 350-400 degrees F. Stack tortillas, cut into strips, and cook in oil until golden brown/floating/crispy. Drain on paper towels. Lightly salt. 
Spoon desired amount of soup/broth into bowl (you want it to be really hot, just like with Pho, since you will add cold ingredients which will cool the soup), throw in desired amount of cut chicken, cilantro, tomatoes, avocado, and chives. Sprinkle with cheese, then top with tortilla strips. 

Wal-lah!!!
Now all you need is a spoon, because I guarantee an appetite after smelling this cook!



 

KpLoving It Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger