Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Pass the Torch

I don't know why, or what it is about my face or my aura, but strangers always think I either look familiar or feel the compelling urge to spill their guts and tell me all about something. Maybe my nurturing nursing persona constantly radiates vibes to people. Maybe I have an angel sitting on my shoulder waving people over. Whatever it is, I don't mind it; it's actually warming. 
I had an absence of judgment on Sunday and decided to pop my head into Walmart for a few things (that always turns out to be a basket of things) after yoga and boy was I in for a treat. The place was swarming. A mad zoo. Traffic jams on every isle. I took a deep cleansing breath and eased my way forward, trying to stay focused on the task at hand. 
When I finally made it to the checkout line, I patiently waited. Patience. I don't think we're born with it; it's a learned skill, like holding chair pose for an extended amount of time with your arms extended to the sky and every muscle in your body tremoring like the world is about to collapse from under you, as if an earthquake is taking place in your body, but you stay put, unwavering, inhaling and exhaling slowly as if you were doing nothing more than laying in bed.  
When it was my turn to pay, the checkout girl started venting about how crazy it was. I sympathized. She went on to give me examples of how cruel and patronizing people can be while they're waiting in line and don't things are moving as fast as they should be. 
Fast, fast, fast. Hurry, hurry, hurry. And the kicker is, when people get in these zones, they seem to forget that anyone but themselves possess feelings or perceptions about what is happening.
I apologized for those hurtful behaviors as if somehow the entire consumer population was represented by me, and suggested that maybe in January, after everyone goes on their New Year's Resolution diets, things will quiet down. But she wouldn't be sticking around for that, just saving up for school over the holidays. I almost felt like this sweet girl was traumatized by the decency people lacked and just needed so badly to reach out to someone, hoping they'd restore her faith in humanity or make her feel more worthy than a checker that couldn't do her job fast enough.
Please, I'm begging you, try not to get so wrapped up in yourself this busy holiday season that you forget to spread love and cheer. Even if you feel like you're the only one in a sea of greedy mongrels, don't fret. I guarantee you will impact someone's life in a positive way and maybe even inspire someone else to take off their Scrooge hat and pass the torch of kindness.
What do you want your ripple in the water of society to look like?
 

KpLoving It Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger