Tuesday, May 31, 2011

May I Make a Suggestion?

I finished it! I finished it!

I'm going to go ahead and throw it out there: anyone and everyone.........of appropriate age............should go ahead and read this book. It's got suspense and action,  sexy love affairs, tragedy, comic relief, a test of morals, and a satisfying end for the cherry topper. It's takes place on a circus train during the great depression and prohibition days, with most of it's characters and scenes inspired by documented events from the 1930's, the author found during her circus research, and includes a second layer by having the main character resemble a biblical story in the book of Genesis. As it bounces between past and present, the great detail and feeling described makes it impossible not to emotionally connect to the main character. It presents a point of view that might make you think differently about how well you listen to the elderly.

My overall rating: Loved it. I'm anxious to watch the movie now, to see if it could even come close to serving the book justice. I don't know how a movie can effectively describe a thought like this:

"Afterward, she lies nestled against me, her hair tickling my face. I stroke her lightly, memorizing her body. I want her to melt into me, like butter on toast. I want to absorb her and walk around for the rest of my days with her encased in my skin.
I want.
I lie motionless, savoring the feeling of her body against mine. I'm afraid to breathe in case I break the spell."

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
 

KpLoving It Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger