Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Messy is the New Sexy........Wal-lah!

Patrick thinks it's really funny that I look like this in the morning. Never been a morning person, probably never will. In all honesty, I usually don't look in the mirror or even attempt to brush my teeth for the first few hours I'm awake, unless my schedule deems it necessarily. (It's a running joke in our house before we kiss, "Did you brush your teeth yet?") When I was young, I would get ready in the dark; it would always drive my mother insane. I still do that.
Since I don't look in the mirror often when I'm at home, sometimes the hubby finds me in conditions of which would normally be considered socially and presentably unacceptable. That's okay though, because it's a testament of his profound love to still want to kiss someone who looks like this. 
I can't even hold my eyes open.
The other morning I came home from work exhausted and starving, scarfed down two of these Pumpkin Muffins (one covered in Nutella, the other with White Chocolate Wonderful), and crashed immediately on the couch after downing my sacred chocolate milk. Patrick came home for lunch that day, but didn't wake me while he was there. He waited until he got home from work that afternoon to tell me I went to sleep with Nutella all over my face. Probably so I could go look in the mirror and surprise myself with embarrassment first. I shortly debated on whether or not I should try to lick it off.........one shan't waste good Nutella...........but decided to wash my face instead. 
It's amazing how sexy I can be. 
I must have still been in the above state when I made these muffins, because I completely forgot to add a vitally important ingredient before separating them into the papers and putting them in the oven: THE PUMPKIN. I would probably forget to bring my brain with me places if it were possible. When I was pouring the batter, I was wondering why it looked so thick....and brown........Just in case your curiousity kicked in, I totally took them out of the oven, and scraped every single one back into the bowl to add the pumpkin.
Work harder, not smarter; that's what I always say!!!
I got the base of this reciepe from Oprah, and then altered it a little further to make it even healthier. These muffins are about as guilt free and equally delicious as baking can get! The whole wheat flour and lack of sugar really helps them stay with you for a while, instead of making you even more hungry an hour later, like a regular muffin. And I highly recommend trying them warm, topped with White Chocolate Wonderful or Nutella, with a side of fruit, and milk. YUM!

Pumpkin Muffins


Ingredients

   1 tablespoon chia seeds
   1 cup whole wheat or whole grain flour
   1/2 cup white flour
   2 teaspoons cinnamon
   1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
   1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
   ¼ teaspoon cloves
   2 teaspoons baking soda
   1/2 teaspoon salt
   1 can (16 ounces) pumpkin
   2 eggs
   1/4 cup regular applesauce
   1/2 cup agave nectar
   1 tablespoon vanilla
   1/2 cup chopped pecans (I used the ones from my parent's back yard....I know, if you could only be so lucky, right??)

Directions

Pre-heat oven to 350°.

Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients.

Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and spoon into paper-lined muffin or greased muffin tins. Top with chopped Nuts (I do this so if people don't like nuts, they can pick them off). Bake for 25–30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Store completely cooled muffins in sealable plastic bags in the freezer.


Wal-lah!!!

 

KpLoving It Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger