Monday, April 11, 2011

Vacation Bird

    I've never liked to wake up early in the morning. I can't say that I'm "not a morning person", because when I do wake up in the morning I'm not grumpy or mad, I'd just rather sleep until noon. Working day shift for 2 years, I always thought that one day I'd get used to waking up early as a normal experience and rise with the sun on my days off as well, but in my case "the worm" has never ceased to provoke anything out of this bird other than a series of snooze buttons.


Sumo and friend Molly chillin' at the pool
       Working 7PM-7AM however, poses a different way for me to enjoy mornings; I don't have to wake up early but still enjoy the greatness. With that being said, there a so many things that I do love about the early day. Yesterday morning after work I went to Wal-Mart and was greeted by a lovely doorman wearing a bright smile on his face and asked me if I just got off work. I confirmed and he said, "Well good for you for getting off work! How many hours are you shifts?", and told him 12hr and he said, "Oh my goodness, well God bless you too! You just have a glorious Sunday off!" I walked away, now carrying the same smile that he greeted me with. A little while later, I kept feeling like another shopper was sort of "following me", probably by coincidence I thought, until he finally compiled enough courage to ask me if I was a nurse (something I suppose he wanted to do for a couple of isle's or so). I said yes and he came closer and said, "I just want to thank you for doing what you do. I don't think enough people appreciate nurses the way they should." He went on to say that he had just been released from the hospital last week and the nurses that cared for him made his stay better than he thought it could be and he just wanted to let someone know about it. I thanked him for his generosity and let him know I was glad he's well and proceeded on with my shopping now wearing an even bigger smile. A while later, a man walking by said hello, asking how I was this morning, and after I reciprocated, he stopped and asked if I needed help finding anything (I guess he could tell that I looked a little lost). I told him I was looking for sun dried tomatoes and jokingly asked if he knew where they were (He just looked like a regular shopper with regular clothing on and how many men know where to find sun dried tomatoes?). He then told me that he is usually a vender for that store and walked over a few isles, yelled to someone to asked where they were and then took me to help find them! It was so nice of that man to help a lost shopper on his day off. I wish I was in the same category as these "morning people"; so many are so refreshingly nice and courteous.


Callie at the pool
 
     The weather was nice, the sidewalks occupied by runners and the streets with cyclists, so when I got home, I took Callie and Sumo down for our usual morning dog park hang out. We saw all the "regulars" and Sumo played with his best boxer friend Baboo. It was while I was sitting down there with them that I decided the day was too beautiful to waste sleeping inside, so I made a stout Bloody Mary and decided that I was taking a home vacation! After spending the light of day napping by the pool, Patrick and I had some delicious half price nachos and $2 Mimosa’s at a little Irish Pub in our neighborhood, made some new friends, and tried our very first Irish Car Bomb! It was just what the doctor ordered.
     Today, I decided that 1 day of vacation just isn't enough, so I slept in, and woke up to Parick coming home for lunch. We watched some Benny Hill, a first for me, and it confirmed slap stick is still funny. Then I went back to the pool, and let the dogs come with me this time. They made a new boxer friend, Molly, and after a few hours of play, decided it was time to enjoy some AC. Tonight we are going to the House of Blues to listen to Gogol Bordello perform, a really fun Gypsy Punk band from New York. Needless to say, I'm pumped!
     Did you get all the things I love about mornings? Getting off work, walmart, good people, running, biking, dog park friends, amazing weather.....and didn't mention breakfast, but it's definitely on the list!

TTFN
 

KpLoving It Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger