Thursday, July 11, 2013

Stumbling Through Life: Wal-lah! (Project Pretty Weeks 22, 23, 24)

(Project pretty is a personal commitment to share my weekly journey of keeping my non-New-Year's-Resolution: staying fit to improve quality of life while inspiring others to do the same. Let's all jump on the endorphin wagon!)

You've probably been wondering why I haven't posted a Project Pretty post in a couple of weeks............
Actually, you probably haven't been wondering at all. I know you, and it's probably completely slipped your mind because you really don't care what I do every week to look this good (just kidding, promise), but I'll fill you in anyway. I haven't been doing anything!! 
That's right. Cooking is as close as I've gotten to physical activity. Why? Because I'm a total klutz, and I'm afraid that when a "bruise" lasts for 3 weeks, moves around, shows no visible discoloration of the skin, and causes a crackle pop feeling deep down inside........it may indicate it's more serious than a bruise. Don't worry, I took my husband's advice after he teased me about ways I've driven myself to stress fractures in the past and made a Orthopedic appointment for Friday. 
Sure, it's just my foot and I know there are tons of other muscles in my body I could be strengthening in the mean time, but in my core, I'm pretty sure I'm an opportunist. This time I pounced on the excuse of taking a break from the boring bicycle routine at the gym (since I had already been doing that to rest my calf strain). And who wants to spend their time doing push ups?!?!? Those things are hard!!!
source
More importantly, cooking is fun and eating is more fun!
Remember yesterday when I talked about being a witch??? That'd be really handy, yet again....
source
Now to the stuff we really care about: something I did in the kitchen. 
I was craving pancakes for breakfast this weekend and had a ton of blueberries in their prime that needed to be eaten, so I decided to try a Paleo version of a comfort food staple. 

Blueberry Sauce Ingredients:
Fresh blueberries
Agave Nectar
Honey
To make the blueberry sauce (I used this as a topper instead of maple syrup and it was an amazing combo of tart and sweet), I simply threw some blueberries in the skillet, drizzled them with half Agave Nectar and Half local organic Honey, and cooked them on medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until they burst open  and made a sauce (they get saucier than my picture below, the color just gets darker too and doesn't show well in photographs). 
Even though I'm a pretty avid reader, sometimes I screw up and forget to read important things, like key ingredients in a recipe. Third time's a charm, though!!! Yes, I didn't realize I forgot to add the eggs until the third time I attempted to perfect these pancakes!! Sigh.
 Here's the original recipe (It had the most ingredients, which I typically think deems it the best.)

3 eggs
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 cup mashed rip banana
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup coconut flour
3/4 cup almond meal
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp gelatin
pinch sea salt
You want your banana to be a bit ripe.
Just as a warning, these will not pour or look like a typical pancake while you're cooking them. 
And if you turn them before they're ready, you'll end up with a really sloppy shaped taco pancake. 
But if you remember ALL the ingredients (I mixed all the wet ingredients together, then dry ingredients together, then blended them all), you'll end up with puffy yet dense and very filling pancakes that stay together in one piece.......
 .....as opposed to the mound of slop I brought to Patrick for "breakfast in bed" the first time I tried making them, even though he doesn't like breakfast when he first wakes up and thought they looked gross, because let's face it, it was a huge plate of goop, so I ate it all myself since they were really for me anyway, and they still tasted good, not to mention the ingredients aren't what I call cheap, and I didn't slave away my time to just throw them away.....
Cover them in as much antioxidant and anti-allergen rich blueberry sauce as your little heart desires and your morning sweet tooth will be cured. There's so much protein in these you'll stay full for way longer than you ever anticipated a pancake being capable of. 

Have you ever left out a key ingredient from a recipe before? What happened to the dish you were trying to make as a result?

 

KpLoving It Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger