Wednesday, June 12, 2013

My Calf had a Heart Attack (Project Pretty Week 20)

(Project pretty is a personal commitment to share my weekly journey of keeping my non-New-Year's-Resolution: staying fit to improve quality of life while inspiring others to do the same. Let's all jump on the endorphin wagon!)

Once again, I'm a cripple...
Well, not totally crippled in the politically correct sense of the word, but I have been limping around for 5 days now with a bum calf, again. Huge knot. Lots of pain. Tight, tight, tight. Remember when I thought I may not get to participate in the Dallas Rock 'n Run due to a calf strain? 
It'sssss Baaaaaaaaaack.
I can't believe it. Two months of almost complete running rest (just a few 1-2 mile runs here and there), then one 3.75 mile run with the husband and our puppies and BANG; I'm down for the count. I never felt a twinge of pain until about 30 minutes after the run was over.
On the verge of going crazy with frustration, I started searching the web in hopes of finding out more than I already knew (R.I.C.E.). Unfortunately, when I found the answer it was bittersweet. Apparently I've had a "Calf Attack" with a Grade II-III tear (based off a very educated self diagnosis), and there's no easy fix, but at least I have more knowledge about how to prevent this reoccurring sports injury. I'm already ahead of the game and have been using The Stick, which was recommended to me by a physical therapist at the last Expo I went to. But the irritating road to full recovery is never easy and tends to be time consuming in an annoying way, especially when my workout plans of going to boot-camp and doing Insanity with Patrick disintegrated before my eyes.
INJURIES SUCK BUTT HAIRS!
It's all my fault, really......Patrick never even wanted to run; I had to talk him into it. Little did I know forgetting my water bottle at home would be the least of my worries. Nevertheless, if I was going to hurt myself, I did it on a beautiful day having fun with the family in the park.

Have you ever dealt with a reoccurring calf strain?


 

KpLoving It Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger