Monday, May 26, 2014

If You Didn't Already Know

Dave Matthews isn't just an amazing guitarist who knows chords that almost don't even make sense, and plays with some of the best musicians who share a passion for jamming over just playing a song the ol' boring way, he also has an overabundant collection of amazing lyrics. Sexy ones. Deep ones. Dirty ones. Silly ones. Ones that speak the truth.
This year there was no opener, just an acoustic setup. It started out with Dave and Carter, and with each song the stage invited another band member to join in on the action. Tim, then Boyd (who was apparently celebrating his 217th birthday---or somewhere around there....he lost track and stopped counting.....which is probably why he dropped his wand 3 times later in the show), then Stefan and Coffin, etc. Then after a break, the band returned to finish off the night with the electric setup.. 
Cotton thoroughly enjoyed his/her first Dave concert, dancing most of the night away, while I relied on lots of water, a really expensive snow cone (totally worth every penny at the time), and pure enthusiasm to carry me though the night as all the extra fluid in my body started to settle in my feet. 
Braving the heat with my love was more than worth it, though, because the Dave Matthews Band never disappoints. Allow me to walk you through last Saturday night's set list and you'll see why (if you're already a faithful fan, then you know this doesn't even brush the surface of their ridiculously good collection, but there's only time for so many songs in one night.)

"People stare and we just ignore......we just ignore everything.......kissing all the time......and I'm looking forward to much more....."
-Recently 
"I could never love again so much as I love you. Where you end and where I begin is like a river going through......Take me eyes, take my heart, I need them no more, if never again they fall upon the one I so adore."

"Would you not like to be sitting on top of the world with your legs hanging free?......When I'm walking by the water, splish-splash you and me takin' a bath. When I'm walking by the water come up through my toes, to my ankles, to my head, to my soul, I'm blown away."
"You look the same. I mean, you look different, but you haven't changed........Funny how you take me right back again."
"You've got your ball, you've got your chain tied to me tight, tie me up again.......Sweet like candy to my soul, sweet you rock and sweet your roll......I'm so lost for you when you come crash into me, and I come into you......In your eyes, love it grows......Forgive me for my haste, when I'm holding you so close to me......In a boy's dream, hike up your skirt a little more and show your world to me.....You wear nothing, but you wear it so well."
"Now I'm thinking that you did all you could when you said, 'My love, take it slowly'.........Take me back to just before I was spinning. Take me back to just before I got dizzy. Take me back. It's amazing what a minute can do."
"We look at each other wondering what the other is thinking, but we never say a thing, and these crimes between us grow deeper.......People in every direction, but no words exchanged, no time to exchange them. When all the little ants are marching, red and black and tan. We all do it the same way."
"I'm sick of you, and I'm sick of me. I'm sick of war, and I'm sick of peace. I'm sick of sound like I'm sick of silence. I grow sick of the darkness until I'm sick of the light. I'm so sick that this sickness has me dying........So I will live as I see fit and there will be those who will not like it. But in the arms of a woman I found my way home. To the arms of a woman, I will always go."
-#27
"God or the Devil alone could not have made you up; the two must have worked as one, together.......Do know you what it is to feel the light of love inside you, when all the darkness falls away?......Love me baby, love me baby, shake me like a monkey baby and forever I am yours. I can't stop thinking about you, why would I want to?......I like my coffee with toast and jelly but I'd rather be licking you from your back to your belly; I think that I'm going to."
"You crush me with the things you do........Lovely lady, I am at your feet, I want you so badly.......Let's go drive until the morning comes and watch the sunrise to fill our souls up......It's crazy thinking, just knowing that the world is round. I'm here dancing on the ground. Am I right-side up or up-side down? Is this real or am I dreaming? Lovely lady, let me drink you please. I won't spill a drop, no I promise you. Lying under this spell you cast on me, with each moment the more I want you....You know you crush me, baby......Lovely lady, I will speak to you sweetly. I adore you; I mean that you crush me." 
"What I remember the most about that night is I love the way you move, baby. I like most liquor but I don't like Gin and don't always like the skin I'm in.....but I love the way you love me, baby. And I love the way you move........I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner. I might get lost, but I'll be home for dinner."
"You ain't never had my cornbread. It's a little bit of heaven and a little bit of 'aww yeah'......Make you wanna run around naked, 'cause you know it looks good on you."
"Come and see, I swear by now I'm playing time against my troubles. I'm coming slow but speeding.......The difficulty's coming.......I will go in this way, and I'll find my own way out......I wanted to stay, I wanted to play, I wanted to love you......Why wont you ever be glad?......The way the rain comes down."
-#41
"Like the other monkeys here, I am a humble monkey....But then came the day I climbed out of these safe tree limbs, ventured away. Walking tall, head up and singing, I went to the city......Now I am the proudest monkey you've ever seen. Monkey see, monkey do.....Then comes the day....I turn to question me. I wonder do I want the simple, simple life I once lived in well?.....In a way they were better days."
"Satellite in my eyes, like a diamond in the sky......Strung from the moon, and the world your balloon, peeping-tom for the mother station......Look up, look down, all around me......Someone's secrets you've seen......eyes and ears....have been in my yard. Tell me more, tell me more."
"Wanna pack your bags something small? Take what you need and we'll disappear without a trace......and then when we get to the ocean, we're gonna take a boat all the way to the end of the world. You and me together, can do anything."
"Could I have been anyone other than me?.......Sing and dance.....Dark clouds may hang on me sometimes but I'll work it out. And then I look up at the sky, my mouth is open wide; lick and taste. What's the use in worrying? What's the use in hurrying? Turn, turn, we almost become dizzy."
"I hear more than I like to, so I drown my head in a sense of humor. I laugh at what I cannot change."
-Drive In, Drive Out
"Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water. Jack fell down and broke his crown because he was messing with the preacher's daughter."
-Belly Belly Nice
"What I want is what I've not got, and what I need is all around me......Sometimes a Jimi Thing slides my way and keeps me swinging. I'd like to show you what's inside and I shouldn't care if you don't like it."
"Feel the ground against my back, counting stars against the black. Thinking 'bout another day, wishing I was far away. Wherever I dreamed I was, you were there with me."
"No reason to get excited, the thief he kindly spoke. There are many among us who feel that life is but a joke."
 

KpLoving It Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger