Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Serves Us Right

It was amazingly complicated trying to get an actual date scheduled to take my maternity pictures while balancing the fine line between waiting far enough along in my pregnancy journey to still feel beautiful and confident while dramatically showing, and waiting so long that the crappy symptoms of the third trimester start bringing my confidence level down a little too far.
Conflicts galore attempted to halt our planning, but eventually we had a date, despite it being during my busiest week of the month!! 
Then arose the question, "What the heck do we wear?!?" This dress looks good....oh no!...Is that a stain??...Do I have time to have it dry-cleaned?
Which was followed by, "Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego are we going to take these things?" It's gotta have personality, but be natural, possess versatility and accessibility, but be not over populated.....
Preceded by, "What time of day is the best time?" Lighting is essential, but Patrick can't miss too much work.....
I started checking the weather report everyday to be sure spring showers weren't going to rain on our parade; after all, most of the shots I wished to be captured played with sunlight during the day and silhouettes during sunset, hence why we chose to shoot at White Rock Lake. 
Lo and behold, our date soon approached and although surrounded by days of glorious sunlight, this particular Thursday was shadowed with thick grey clouds. After spending the first 4 hours of my day in a educational meeting for work, I rushed around the city trying to find infant shoes and complete a couple other last minute tasks.
And as the day continued forward, the clouds got heavier and heavier, eventually becoming so bogged down by the condensation they were harboring that sprinkles of rain drops started to mist the landscape. Great......
A little disappointed, we decided to push forward, looking on the beautiful side of gloomy weather (green always looks so much more green against grey skies). Besides, I suppose that's what we deserve for having such expectations during Mother Nature's most dramatic of seasons.
Trying to leave the house on time to beat traffic while gathering all the supplies and accessories needed for the session was a chaotic cluster. I hadn't packed a single thing ahead of time.
To put it in crystal clear perspective, I realized, as I was backing out of the driveway while eating my almost rotten banana (multitask, multitask, multitask), that I completely forgot to put on mascara!! Ay Yi Yi, the placental shunting is really going to do me in one day (and they say I'll never get it back).
Despite the weather throwing a big grey wrench in my sunshiny picture plans, Leisha did an amazing job of capturing the beauty of this special time in our lives.
We had tons of fun during the shoot; Leisha and I getting especially dirty, with me parading around barefoot and sitting in swampy lands, and Leisha falling all over the place to get the best angle, even if it meant diving into treacherous poison ivy.
I'm sure I even took a few people by surprise, with my well rounded self stripping down outside the car for every wardrobe change, devoid of all modesty (making my Nana proud).
Short story long, I'm so glad we decided to go with the flow and not reschedule, especially since almost 2 weeks later, the place where my ankles used to be are now days looking more like they belong to a person 4 times my size, due to this lovely puffiness that I just can't seem to shake.
I can't forget to mention, Leisha, Jason, Patrick, and I went out to eat at a Mexican restaurant afterwards, to replenish our bodies from all the hard care modeling work, where we met a seemingly Mexican waitress that didn't know the difference between charro beans and refried beans. 
It made for a hearty laugh, but then we sat with anxious anticipation, wondering what our orders would come out like. The answer: not as good as our maternity pictures, but definitely edible. I think the live mariachi band improved the feel of authenticity a little. 
If you live in the area and are looking to have some awesome pictures taken by a wonderful person, Leisha with Unbridled Dreams Photography is your woman!! 
 

KpLoving It Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger