Wednesday, January 23, 2013

I Almost Ate Concrete (Project Pretty Week 3)

(Project pretty is a personal commitment to share my weekly journey of keeping my non-New-Year's-Resolution: staying fit to improve quality of life while inspiring others to do the same. Let's all jump on the endorphin wagon!)

My runner friends are getting ready for the Dallas Rock 'n Run (I'm still riding the fence), so I've been taking advantage of their frequent running schedules to have a little company for my workouts. Everyone's been such a good sport about pretending to be happy to slow down to a tortoise pace for a run/chat with ol' pokey (me)......
Kelly Jo's lived in North Dallas her entire life and never knew about Oak Point Nature Preserve, so we bundled to brave the 20-30 degree temps and squeezed in a 4-miler. I had us a nice little scenic sidewalk map completely mapped out, but of course we got off track somewhere along the way and ended up winging it.
Everything was all fun and games until I stepped on what I thought was a melted puddle and almost ate concrete. Time stood still in that moment, and skating over 1 foot of ice literally felt like 400 meters. It caused such a dramatic scene, we decided only a reenactment would serve it justice.
A couple days later, Missy was looking for someone to cover 5 miles with. Neither of us had ever been to Russel Creek Park, and the 2.5 mile loop halfway between both our homes sounded like the perfect place to meet up.
It literally felt like I gained 300 pounds overnight and had to drag my butt the whole way (even my heart rate was higher than usual), so she did most of the talking, but it felt great to burn those 700 calories in the crisp morning air with new views.....it was just one of those days I don't think I would have finished without someone cheering me on.
I got so overheated by the end, I was down to just a Tshirt while munching on my cup of ice during our cool down walk around the pond in the 40 degree weather......surely everyone there thought I was a crazy loon (but not as crazy as this fish thinking it was a good idea to sunbathe).
I'm super happy to report my knees have handled the pounding a lot better this week, though there's always some ailment to be dealt with, like sore second toes (probably due to their freakishly long nature), mild shin splints, and my first ever running induced blister. Oh the aches and pains of getting back into long distance running shape.......
My favorite moment this week was post omelet being cozy on the couch in front of my space heater, ice packs on my knees, catching up on American Idol and texting Patrick at work, "I really need you to fill up my tea glass."
"On my way," he replies.
"Really?"
"No." (He was suppose to work out during lunch.)
I became desperately disappointed I was actually going to have to momentarily abandon my perfect set up to fulfill this task solo, but before becoming dehydrated enough to talk myself in to getting up, he walked in the door to the rescue!!! How lucky am I?

How often do you ice post workout?
 

KpLoving It Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger