Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Must Be Doing Something Right (Project Pretty Week 6)

(Project pretty is a personal commitment to share my weekly journey of keeping my non-New-Year's-Resolution: staying fit to improve quality of life while inspiring others to do the same. Let's all jump on the endorphin wagon!)

I joined a gym!
Just go ahead and add me into that post holiday statistic, I guess.....
I tried not to, but being at the Yoga Studio really reminded me of how much I love group fitness (not that I ever forgot, I was just trying to save money), and I needed another method of getting some low-impact workouts in. The good news is it's a really cheap gym, but has a lot to offer with a super laid back and friendly atmosphere! When I joined they literally said, "Welcome to the family.".........How sweet is that?
Speaking of sweet, Patrick is a little concerned. I don't know if it's because I've been letting my hair grow, the relocation to the other side of town, or glowing Project Pretty results, but I've been getting quite a few compliments lately........in the raw. I'm talking no make up, always in workout clothes, and in one particular situation, completely drenched in sweat after a long, vigorous workout.
"I just wanted to tell you, you are very beautiful," the guy says as a steady stream of sweat is dripping from my pigtails. He even tried to give me his card......until he saw my diamond and gracefully bowed out.
Although I felt amazing, I wasn't looking so hot on mine and Cristina's 4 mile hill run after work. She is a gifted beast born to sprint up hill and left me trailing in the fog with every incline, which actually turned out to be a good thing since it pushed me to run an average of 10:49min-11:09min miles (about 30-40sec faster than what I was running on flat land a few weeks ago).
The cool air and heavy fog misting in my face was probably another contributing factor; I really do love those kind of conditions......and we both loved watching all the cardinals out and about.
The downfall was developing a serious knot in one of my calve muscles that took me about 3 days to untie with lingering soreness afterwards (I'm blaming it on Shawn T's Insanity). So I took it easy and went to the beginners class for yoga again. Although I don't get a "workout" at theses mostly instructional classes, I do enjoy learning about the theory behind why we do poses the way we do, and sometimes even learn I've been doing something incorrectly. I stayed after class and got some one-to-one instruction on how to properly vinyasa from Plank-Pushup-Up Dog-Downward Dog (I've been slightly lifting up my feet and moving them to how I want them to go instead of rolling my toes) and was finally successful! I seriously felt like a million bucks, especially when some of the other beginners who stayed to watch were "Ooooo-ing" and "Ahhhhh-ing" over my accomplishment!
Jess and I finished off the week strong with a 7 mile afternoon run with......
.......wait for it........
Absolutely no route planned out. We just hit the road and winged the entire thing!

How do you make sure you're getting enough variation in your weekly workouts? Do you have a schedule, or just wing-it?

 

KpLoving It Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger