Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I Married a Real Man

     We hosted Thanksgiving this year, our first time. It's so nice not to have to drive anywhere for once. I had to work Thanksgiving night, so I prepared everything on Thanksgiving Eve (with the help of my temporary slave, Cousin Allison); and on the big day, I just woke up and popped everything in the oven (green been casserole, broccoli cheese and rice casserole, sweet potato casserole, garlic butter rolls, and a pumpkin dessert--- I think that covers all the staples)!
I made it black apron, because black is Manly. 
     Patrick fried his first Turkey.  He was so excited about it that he bought the supplies a month prior and even did a practice fry the weekend before. Given the circumstances, I thought we'd make it official, and surprised him with an apron I painted for his show-down. I had to hang it somewhere safe to dry, so Lucifer wouldn't stomp on it (that would have just made her day).
     For dessert, I made Caramel Drizzled Pumpkin Cheesecake with home-made candied pecans (grown in my parents front yard). I candied them with complimenting seasoning, such as nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves. (Do you  have any idea how expensive nuts are in the store right now??!?!?! They're like blood diamonds.)  I'm currently using the rest of them on my salads, and it is an amazing combination. (I may be addicted.) Then I made some peanut butter filled marshmallows, dipped in chocolate and covered in coconut and graham crackers. They were divine. I had to make an extra late night trip to the store since my first batch of chocolate melted into clumpy-dry-goop instead of creamy goodness, but it was all worth it!
I donned Patrick Angle wings. He is my Real Man Husband Angel, who can fry a mean turkey.
     My man forgot to put his apron on until AFTER he was done cooking, but his turkey turned out perfect anyway. I couldn't stop eating the skin (num num num). James, Patrick's dad, said he doesn't normally like sweet potatoes, but I watched him eat 3 servings of my sweet potato casserole. . . . . . . . .must have been the Crown Whiskey I snuck in there. Vickie, Patrick's mom made her special dressing that Patrick loves so much. Our bellies grew 3 sizes that day.
I can't believe everyone in the entire family looked at the picture except Sumo!!!! There's always got to be ONE in the bunch. 
     We ate at the table we bought a year ago.....for probably the very first time (we're fancy t.v. dinner kinda of people).....only half of us decided to get dressed like normal people......and the puppies food-stalked like there was no tomorrow. It was ridiculous. I wish I would have gotten a video of the way they stayed within inches of everywhere Patrick paced, just hoping for that one piece of something to fall to the floor.
     All in all, I think it was a pretty successful hosting, with only one mishap*. I guess it's time to decorate for Christmas now!!!

*Tune in tomorrow to find out why I thought  I was going have to bring Patrick to the hospital in Thanksgiving Eve!

What are your holiday traditions?
 

KpLoving It Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger