Wednesday, February 23, 2011

White History Month??????


    
     It's unbelievable that these two pictures are of the same pond in our community during the same month this year. One week I was seriously considering sledding down the sidewalks and actually witnessed two individuals ice-skating down our streets. I was finding it extremely challenging to put on 3 layers of clothes each time the dogs needed to go outside and also found myself on the ground a few times, and I don't mean on purpose! Two weeks later I could wear a sundress very comfortably and even the turtles came out for a little irresistible spring action. I even thought, "If I had time, I would love to lay out poolside today...just to get enough Vitamin D", and behold, I saw a few residents executing that thought!  Aghhh, the adventures of Texas weather. You really NEVER know what tomorrow will bring; enjoy what today beholds.
     This month also happens to be Black History Month. I listened to a funny song on Jimmy Fallon the other night, basically comically complaining that it happens to fall on the shortest month of the year. Does this just sum up all cultures of black race into one category? Do white people have a history month, and if they did what exactly would it be in celebration of? I came across a intriguing book title the other day and I thought it was hallarious, but is it true? "The Unique Guide to: Stuff White People Like. The unique taste of millions". Wow. Really? I've had my left nare pierced since Patrick and I have been married. There's a reason I chose the left side. In Indian culture, piercing the left nare after marriage is believed to bring happiness in marriage and to help with fertility/childbirth. Later down the timeline piercing the right nare represented rebellion and punk/rock. I have had a few people of Indian decent notice the side my nose ring is on and they are always impressed when I know what it means, but confused I'm sure of why I chose that side. Growing up I went to several denominations of churches, not caring where, just as long as God was in worship. When I got married I didn't care where it was, but wanted it to consist of what Patrick and I liked, not necessarily what was considered tradition....tradition to who? We can make our own traditions. I could think of a million examples of this, but I think what I mean is, I am not of one culture. I don't even think I have a certain culture to pinpoint myself to, unless it is of  the "melting pot of American culture"; a little here, a little there, a touch of this, a dab of that....taking the best of everything and mashing it together like the best loaded mashed potatoes. It makes for interest and allows for change and open-mindedness.
     Speaking of this month, I hope everyone had a memorial Valentine’s day for one reason or another. I'll always remember our new love colored car was purchased on that day of celebration. Did you know, "In the Middle Ages, young men and women drew names from a bowl to see who their valentines would be. They would wear these names on their sleeves for one week. To wear your heart on your sleeve now means that it is easy for other people to know how you are feeling." It's fascinating how we develop traditions and sayings. We say so many things these days without regard to their original or deeper meaning. Something to think about!

TTFN
 

KpLoving It Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger